Get a Learner Licence in Darwin


Get a Learner Licence in Darwin

Learning to Drive safely and competently is a once only investment for a lifetime of safe motoring. Darwin Driving School offers professional driver training to gain the best out of the experience of learning to drive.

The following is information on how to obtain your learner driver licence from the Northern Territory Motor Vehicle Registry. Once you have got your learner licence if you are a first time driver, call us to book a driving lesson, or send us an email using the contact form on the contact or main page.

Who requires a Learner licence?

In the Northern Territory, Learner licences are only required for class “C” (Car) and class “R(r)” (Restricted Motorcycle Rider).

Requirements for class “C” Learner – (Car Learner)

  • You must provide Evidence of Identity (EOI) and Evidence of NT Residency (EOR).
  • You must be at least 16 years of age.
  • You must pass a theory test based on NT Road Laws. Fees apply for each theory test attempt
  • You must pass an eyesight test.

Requirements for class “R(r)” Learner – (Restricted Rider Learner)

  • You must provide Evidence of Identity (EOI) and Evidence of NT Residency (EOR).
  • You must be at least 16 years of age.
  • You must pass a theory test based on NT Road Laws. Fees apply for each theory test attempt
  • You must pass an eyesight test.
  • Depending on the area of residence, applicants also have to pass a Balance and Stability practical riding test (Motorcycle Operator Skills Test (MOST)), or pass the Motorcyclist Education Training and Licensing (METAL) Basic course.

To obtain a class “C” Learner Licence

As the theory test for a Class C Learner Licence is based on the Northern Territory Road Users’ Handbook, you will need to obtain a copy of this booklet to study. The booklet may be purchased from any Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) outlet or NT Police Outstations in remote areas. Alternatively, It is available free of charge online at When you feel that you are ready to attempt the theory test, attend your nearest MVR outlet or NT Police Outstation if you live in a remote area. Make sure that you take along your Evidence of Identity and Evidence of Residency documents. You will be required to complete Form L1 – Application for a Northern Territory Driver/Rider Licence. Once the form has been completed and signature witnessed by MVR staff, or a Police Officer, you will then be able to pay for your theory test attempt. The theory test consists of questions in a multiple choice format. For those who have difficulty reading or writing, you may elect to attempt a verbal test. You must pay your theory test fee to book a verbal test appointment at select MVR outlets or NT Police Outstation. Interpreting services are provided by Interpreting and Translating Service NT (ITSNT). Please note that if you are not an Australian resident or citizen, you will be required to pay a fee directly to ITSNT.

To obtain a Class “R(r)” Learner Licence

Requirements are the same as for a class “C” Learner, except:

A Balance and Stability (Motorcycle Operator Skills Test (MOST)) test must be undertaken if you reside in Darwin, Katherine, Tennant Creek or Alice Springs; or Undertake a METAL Basic Riding Course, where available. Contact your local MVR outlet for further information. Should you be required to undertake a Balance and Stability (MOST) test, the motorcycle you provide must be a Learner Approved Motorcycle, and must be registered and road worthy. You must also wear an approved helmet which is in a legal and safe condition. As you do not hold a licence to ride, you will need to make arrangements to get your motorcycle to and, possibly, from the test venue. Important Note: You cannot legally ride a motorcycle without a current class “R(r)” Learner licence.

MVR Theory Test Times

Theory Tests may be undertaken at any MVR Office up to 1 hour before closing. Unless you require an interpreter, a booking is not required. Only one Theory Test attempt per day is permitted. Passed Theory Test results remain valid for a period of 12 months and you must undertake a Theory Test for each Learner Licence application.

Issue and Validity

Your Learner Licence may be issued once you pass the required theory test in addition to passing the MOST or Basic METAL Riding course for class R(r). Upon payment of the prescribed fee the Learner licence will be issued for a period of two (2) years.


All Learner licences are issued subject to the following conditions:

  • Zero blood alcohol concentration.
  • Not to exceed 80 kilometres per hour unless under the direct supervision of an instructor conducting an approved training program.
  • Must display L plates clearly visible to the front and rear on cars, and to the rear only on motorcycles.
  • Must be accompanied (in the passenger seat) by a fully licensed driver (not provisional) at all times whilst driving (for cars only).
  • Must not carry pillion passengers (for motorcycles only).
  • Must not use a mobile phone while the vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not parked. All mobile telephone use including hands-free operation is prohibited whilst driving/riding for the duration of the learner period.
  • Under the NT Demerit Points Scheme (DPS) all drivers are subject to a points action trigger of 12 demerit points in 3 years. Additionally, Learner, Provisional and overseas licence holders are also subject to a points action trigger of 5 demerit points in 1 year.

Important Notes:

You will not be eligible to book, or attempt, a practical driving/riding test until you have held your Learner licence for 6 continuous months immediately prior to booking. During this initial 6 month period you are encouraged to get as much supervised driving/riding experience as possible. If you allow your Learner Licence to expire, you will need to reapply for your Learner Licence by passing the required Theory Test and for Class R, pass the MOST or METAL Basic Course. Fees apply for each Learner Licence issued. An interruption in the continuous 6 month learner licence period due to Suspension, Disqualification or expiry of the Learner Licence, will result in the recommencement of the mandatory 6 continuous months to be eligible to book a practical test and progression to a Provisional licence.